Monday, May 4, 2009

Visual Essay - Consumerism


























The theme that i am going to talk about is consumerism. My pictures represents the things that we tend to spend money on, from clothes to food and cars. We spend a lot of money on things that we really do not need or that is even necessary(43). I start off my pictures with a cloud picture slowly taking over the sun and the sky to represent consumerism and how it slowly consumes us and everything in life by advertising, targeting certain people and group of people, and many other ways. As we start to go downwards, you can see that i have included a Walmart picture that shows the smiley face logo on top a human body with many arms taking money, wrecking things, grabbing people and many other things inside the picture. This picture represents the same thing as my cloud picture, the taking over of everything, but instead of representing everything, i solo singled out Walmart because most of us know that Walmart goes and takes out the small businesses in towns, then makes them go out of business. They make them go out of business with their advertisement and prices compared to the small businesses. All of these pictures just pretty much imply that we spend money on a lot of things that we really don't need, but want because they are the things that are in style or look nice. As to clothes that are most of my visual essay, i added my picture of a Mc Donald bag that i took to represent that we also spend money on excess food that we know is bad and not healthy for us, but we still buy it because it is more convenient, and cheap.
I can relate to this topic because i am a "victim" of consumerism. I spend money on things that i do not really need, but i still buy it anyways that i like or that i think that is in style. Slowly over time, i have developed into consumerism because it is only natural in our time, and especially from groups around my age to maybe groups in their 40's-50's. I developed into consumerism naturally, as i said before, because it's only a matter of time before consumerism was introduced into me, as i am at that age where i buy anything i desire. My feelings toward consumerism isn't strong because i know it's there, but i just don't really have a reaction towards it because maybe i'm just too young to really care what i buy or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment